
The Chinese were the largest ethnic group in Singapore, which became a British crown colony in 1867. The land for the public park seen here was donated by the eminent Chinese businessman Cheang Hong Lim in 1876. In 1887 the Straits Chinese Recreation Club built the octagonal building in the center of the park to serve as its clubhouse. Over 100 Chinese and European gentlemen were invited to its opening. The club used the green for English outdoor sports such as lawn tennis and cricket.