
1875–1899
Text printed on reverse of stereocard: No. 8. THE CHARLESTON HOTEL, CHARLESTON, S. C.The building, on the left with a double colonade, is the CHARLESTON HOTEL. It is situated on the East side of Meeting Street, occupying the entire front of the square, bounded on the North by Pinckney and on the South of Hayne street. It was built in 1838, by a company of gentleman, Col. Jacob Small, of Baltimore, being the contractor. Soon after it was finished, the ever memorable Conflagration of April, 1838, occurred, which laid it in ruins. It was re-built and opened in 1841, since which time it has stood as a monument of the wisdom of its projectors, and an ornament of the City of Charleston. It very properly ranks among the first Hotels in America, not only in the manner of its conduct, but as regards its situation and fine appearance. Its situation between two streets, gives it a fine circulation of air, making it exceedingly pleasant and desirable during the heated term of summer. Its dimensions are, 150 feet front, by about 200 feet deep. It contains 175 rooms. One of the great attractions of this Hotel is its fine double colonade, which adds materially to its comforts, as well as to its architectural appearance.